From The Fire marshal's office
Your Source For Fire Safety
Gaffney Fire Department Request Forms
Recently we have seen an increased use of extension cords in residential and commercial occupancies. It is estimated that misuse of extension cords causes about 3,300 fires each year resulting in hundreds of deaths and/or injuries. Below are a few tips for extension cord use....
- Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis.
- Make sure extension cords are properly rated for their intended use, indoor or outdoor, and meet or exceed the power needs of the appliance or device being used.
- Inspect cords for damage before use. Check for cracked or frayed sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections.
- Do not run extension cords through walls or ceilings. This may cause the cord to overheat, creating a serious fire hazard.
- Do not nail or staple electrical cords to walls or baseboards.
- Make sure that cords are not pinched in doors, windows, or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord’s insulation.
- Insert plugs fully so that no part of the prongs is exposed when the extension cord is in use.